Thursday, December 4, 2008

Mean Girls

Tonight we laid on the sofa and watched Mean Girls on DVD. 

I was particularly impressed with the "Jingle Bell Rock" winter talent show scene. In case you forgot it, here it is: 



Now, it's no secret that I'm a huge Lilo fan, but watching this movie with Neesh -- the first time I got to see it with sound -- made me wish I could go back in time to before Lilo was a total train wreck and alter her future somehow. When she busts into "Jingle Bell Rock" a capella and saves the act, I knew two things: that my heart was breaking into bits and that I was going to blog about it later.

Lindsay, if you're reading this, my fiancee and I love you. You were great in Mean Girls, and I don't even know what you were doing in A Prairie Home Companion, but you weren't bad in that, either. Be honest with yourself this Christmas. You love Samro but you aren't in love with her. Thanks for accepting my Myspace friend request. Oh, and dye your hair red again because it was cute red.

Mean Girls is a great film. Reminds me of Tate Hall. 

(That's where we work)

Now, on with the countdown. 

#22
Neesha's Pick: "Grandma Got Ran Over by a Reindeer"
Her Reason: "The lyrics speak for themselves on this one. It should have been #25.





Dustin's Pick: Trans-Siberian Orchestra's "Carol of the Bells"
His Reason: "Maybe it's because my heart is so full of Christmas cheer that I don't even care that Trans-Siberian Orchestra's bell carol is pretentious schlock. Or maybe it's because I don't have to worry about Trans-Siberian Orchestra transforming other holiday's songs into guitar mashes and I therefore only have to hear them for about three weeks, and only on this one song. Because of that, they're kind of neat, like Me First and the Gimme Gimmes, or Dynamite Hack, or Hayseed Dixie. Their one trick is taking one kind of song and remaking it so ironically and obnoxiously that it kind of seems good somehow. 

I don't know. I drum my fingers to this when it comes on the radio.  It's like Golden Corral. A musical feeding trough. 

I don't want to like it but I do. 


No comments:

Post a Comment