Friday, January 23, 2009

Hooker Mascara and Vegan Food

Dustin and Lance like to tell Bogey (my oldest fur-baby on the right here-->) that his mascara is running. I think it's funny, but kind of mean. All dogs have tear ducts that run like this, but it's more prominent on white dogs, of course.

However, today while getting ready to leave and play racquetball, D, while playing with Bogey and petting his little yoda head says: "Bogey, you look like a crying hooker."

Ha. I thought I'd pee my pants, but, instead, we went and played racquetball and D barely beat me. This means I'm getting better. We've been playing consistently for about a week and he, in the beginning, whipped my butt and I would, in turn, get incredibly sore about it. I was never a sore loser before, but I'm not used to performing so poorly. I attribute it to being out of practice. So it felt pretty good to give him a run for his money today. When we came home, we were both pretty hungry (I begged D to stop at Schnuck's so I could get some harder-to-find groceries) and I whipped up a vegan stir fry using Quorn Chicken Tenders in place of tofu or meat. I've read that vegan diets are the best healthwise for a person, which is why I'm incorporating it into our meals as much as possible. It's not based on a feeling of not wanting to eat animal products. This may sound gross to ourveg/vegan readers, but we're fine with eating animals-especially if they came from the sea. We've both been vegetarians at one time or another, but we've come to terms with our eating habits and feel at one with our carnivorous meals. We're just not fine with being fat. (Don't hate!)

Last night, I prepped breakfast for this morning because I just knew I wasn't going to want to get up and make breakfast for D this morning, but I wanted him to have something good since he had to teach at 9am. So I whipped up a animal-bi-product-drenched- Scrambled Egg White and Veggie Casserole which had a mixture of some veggies we had on hand: broccoli, spinach and tomatoes, namely. I've been using a lot of pepper and onions in our meals and I think he's getting a little sick of them so I opted not to toss them in, though I ordinarily would. I ground some fresh pepper in there and whipped up 7 egg whites and one full egg (scrambled style), then mixed it all together in a small casserole dish and stuck it in the fridge. This morning, I popped it in the oven for 20 minutes at 400-degrees while D got ready for school and, voila! A super tasty meal for 6 (so there's plenty left over for the weekend hang-over heatup cure). I added a dash or two of Frank's Hot Sauce because it is incredibly tasty for a hot sauce (I love that it has a peppery taste rather than just a 'burn your mouth off and render your taste buds useless" taste). All together it was 77 calories a serving, 4 carbs, 2 fat and 11 protein. Not to mention it was filling and scrumptious.

Tonight, we had the quorn stiry fry which, essentially, consisted of our veggies: brocc, carrots, two cups of the quorn tenders, a small can of mushrooms, a can of cut baby corn, half a cup of chopped yellow squash, a small onion, four Tbl of sweet and sour sauce and half a cup of cooked rice for each of us. Basically, I just cooked up the veggies, added the Quorn, half a cup to a cup of water, the sweet and sour sauce and simmered away. When it was close to done, I tossed some premade veggie spring rolls in the oven that we bought at the store. They were also strikingly good for us and kosher. Four little spring rolls made up a serving and they were incredibly filling little suckers. Dinner was 343 cals, 65 carbs, 3 fat, 14 protein. There were, at least, six servings in the pan so we've also got plenty of that to eat up later this weekend, too.

Tomorrow, Beth's friend Hailey will be in town and they will probably head over our way, with Beth's bf Eli, to hang out and play Wii and have dinner. Since D and I have been missing our Ben Hedrick and Co. a lot, we're hoping to weasel some playtime out of them, as well! It's stacking up to be a busy weekend, my friends.

Although, it will be an unpleasant one for me if my throat doesn't feel better soon...so I'm off to consume some Cap'n and Coke with D-Diggity-Bones. A little numbing never hurt!

Hope you're all well and having a fab first day of the weekend!

xoxo
N

PS-I should say, though, I am in desperate need of some new fantastic bread recipes. We do NOT have a bread machine and I am not super crafty with the yeast. It never wants to rise for me...so any and all advice you might have, I'll take! Esp. if it has to do with zucchini, wheat or honey.



1 comment:

  1. Aw she's presh!! hehe I have never played raquet ball! Austin plays with his friends every once in a while. I don't know if i'd like it... hmmm.

    "We're fine with eating animals-especially if they came from the sea." LOL LOL same here!

    Thanks for the recipe!! I'll have to work it in next week!! Sounds like you had a busy weekend - hope you had a blast!

    ReplyDelete